This page is outdated. Please
see Bishop Building History and Folklore.
The strong genealogical
and historical research collection of the Ocean County Library
is housed in the Bishop Building next door to Headquarters in
Toms River. The building was constructed in 1941 as a public
library for Toms River, using the accrued assets of Nathaniel
Holmes Bishop III, a local author and cranberry-grower. Mr.
Bishop moved to Ocean County from Massachusetts after the Civil
War and as an author and sportsman, became known for his books
about the Barnegat Bay sneak box and his travels in a "paper
canoe". Both Bishop and his wife, Mary Ball, advocated
the founding of a public library for Toms River and provided
in their wills for the purchase of land and subsequent design
of a spacious brick Georgian building. Since the library opened,
it has served both the local citizens and those of the county
when Dover Township joined the Ocean County Library system in
the 1970s. Presently the mellow, pine-paneled premises also
provides a classroom for a Marine Science class from the Ocean
County Vocational and Technical School. Since 1997, the building
also includes a computer laboratory
to provide instruction in the use of the newest of information
retrieval systems, the computer.