The earliest written record of a town library
dates back approximately 125 years. Since Lakewood
was then known as the Village of Bricksburg, our
library was managed by the Bricksburg Library Association.
It was housed in a rent- free room offered by the
Presbyterian Society, and its collection consisted
of 40 volumes.
Originally supported by annual fee of $1.00
per subscriber, additional funding was provided
through lectures, plays, cake and rummage sales,
teas, card parties and dances.
After Bricksburg became the Township of Lakewood,
the library reorganized as the Lakewood Library
Association. It was incorporated in 1893.
In 1903, the collection was expanded to include
books for children, not previously offered here.
By 1914, circulation and membership increased
to where a permanent home was sought and in 1917,
the Lakewood Free Public Library was constructed
on Monmouth Avenue. Funding was provided by the
Carnegie Corporation, the Township and private donations.
Miss Katherine Hinsdale was hired as Librarian for
$2.00 per day. Miss Hinsdale was the friend of one
of Lakewood's most illustrious citizens, John D.
Rockefeller, who donated a beautiful circulation
The present building was opened on July 17,
1995. Lakewood Library joined the Ocean County Library
system on January 1, 1999.