|Supervising Librarian [Branch Manager]
$66,000 per annum
- A Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited library school; or from a New Jersey library school accredited by the New Jersey State Board of Education.
- A New Jersey Professional Librarian certificate (or ability to obtain one within 1 year of employment)
- Mastery of the core competencies for librarians of the New Jersey Library Association
- Three years of professional librarian experience
- This is a NJ Civil Service position. The successful candidate will be provisionally appointed to the Supervising Librarian title. Subsequently, he or she will be required to complete the New Jersey Civil Service Commission examination process and be within reach on the resulting certificate of eligibles in order to receive permanent appointment in the title. Failure to successfully complete the process may result in removal from the position.
Customer Service Philosophy: Ocean County Library connects people and builds community. The library is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment for all customers.
General Description: Plans, organizes, implements, and evaluates comprehensive branch services and programs for customers of all ages in accordance with the Ocean County Library Mission, Goals, and Strategic Plan. This includes community outreach, working closely with the local Friends of the Library, participating in System-wide committees and initiatives, attending the monthly Branch Managers' meetings, supervising one or more librarians and principal library assistants, interpreting and influencing policy, and acting as the general liaison between the Library Administration and local staff and Friends.
The Branch Manager is responsible for coaching/mentoring staff, writing performance reviews and other required reports, providing Reference and Reader's Advisory services, speaking to groups and community organizations, and championing the Diversity Initiative for inclusive service to the public.
The Branch Manager is the primary leader at the branch, and ensures the facility is safe, welcoming, and a focal point of the community. In addition, the Branch Manager may participate in State or National library organizations. Solid communication and problem-solving skills, positive outlook, and leadership abilities are a must.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate enthusiasm, excellent organization, communication and time management skills, the proven ability to lead a team and work as part of a team. The Lakewood Branch Manager leads 40 + staff with the direct supervision of eight full and part-time staff. This position performs at the highest levels of branch management and therefore should have the demonstrated ability to initiate and perform self-directed management, supervision and tasks. They should possess work experience which demonstrates a commitment to OCL's Diversity Mission, inclusion practices, and excellence in cross cultural competencies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of theories, principles, and techniques of leadership
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing clearly, concisely, and informatively
- Ability to prepare informative statistical and narrative reports
- Ability to work harmoniously with peers, subordinates, and customers
- Ability to understand and follow Ocean County Library policies, procedures, and collective bargaining agreements
- Ability to meet or exceed Ocean County Library’s Reference Competencies 1, 2, and 3
- Knowledge of current trends in librarianship and ability to keep current with available electronic resources
You must send:
- Ocean County Library Employment Application
- Cover letter
Send application packages to:
Note: Please include announcement number on all application materials
Ocean County Library (Attn: J. Doderer, OHR)
101 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753-7625
or e-mail as a word document or PDF to:
Special note: Residency Requirements - New Jersey First Act - Be advised,
the New Jersey First Act, P.L. 2011, c.70, effective September 1, 2011, requires all
employees of State and local government reside in the State of New Jersey, unless
exempted under the law. If you already work for State or local government as of
September 1, 2011, and you do not live in New Jersey, you are not required to
move to New Jersey. However, if you begin your office, position or employment on
September 1, 2011 or later, you must reside in New Jersey. If you do not reside
in New Jersey, you have one year after the date you take your office, position
or employment to relocate your residence to New Jersey. If you do not do so, you
are subject to removal from your office, position or employment.
Questions regarding the exemption process should be directed to the Employee Residency
Review Committee at (609) 777-2960.
Print out Application
The Ocean County Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity.