PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL MANAGEMENT LEVEL POSITION NOT SUBJECT TO COL-LECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT. INTERNAL APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY, BUT MUST FOLLOW APPLICATION PROCEDURES OUTLINED BELOW IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED.
|May 30, 2012
|Open until filled
|Chief Librarian [Toms River Headquarters Branch Manager]
Toms River Headquarters Branch; Toms River, New Jersey
||Minimum salary is $70,400. This position is Fair Labor Standards Act exempt.
51.8 FTE employees of the Toms River Headquarters Branch through the supervision of four department heads, as noted below:
Supervising Librarian for Information Services
Supervising Librarian for Youth Services
Supervising Librarian for Teen Services
Supervising Library Assistant for Circulation Services
|Schedule:||Full-time, 35 hours per week. The administrative schedule is Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Beyond the general expectation to follow the administrative schedule, the incumbent will work as necessary to accomplish the goals and objectives of this position and, if needed, to be on-site or available by telephone to provide direction and leadership at other times when the Toms River Branch or other locations of the Ocean County Library System are open to the public. The general Library System schedule is 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. through 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 1 p.m. through 5 p.m. on Sundays from September through May. In addition, the incumbent may be called on after hours in response to weather-related and other emergency situations.|
||Assistant Director for Public Services Library Director (as a member of the Library’s Management Team)
The Ocean County Library System is the largest public library system in New Jersey. It consists of 19 library branches, including the Toms River Headquarters Branch, and two reading centers. The operating budget for fiscal year 2012 is $38.4 million dollars. The Ocean County Library is an independent taxing authority of the County of Ocean. The Library is governed by the Ocean County Library Commission, consisting of seven members appointed by the Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders. The Library Commission is responsible for approving appointments and other personnel actions in accordance with New Jersey Civil Service Commission regulations; control of library funds, property, and equipment; determining policies and rules governing library operations, services, and personnel; and promoting library interests. The Library Director reports to the Library Commission and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Library.
At 100,000 square feet, the Toms River Headquarters Branch is the largest in the Ocean County Library System. It serves as the host location for library administration and system support services, including accounting, purchasing, collections, facilities, public relations, and technology.
As the flagship branch of the Ocean County Library System, the Toms River Headquarters Branch provides public services for customers throughout the Library’s service area (population 575,397) and, by virtue of its location, specifically for residents of the Township of Toms River (population 91,239).
Management Team Member
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance regarding the Toms River Branch, public services overall, and the Ocean County Library System.
- Champions and supports the Library’s diversity initiative to ensure a welcoming and inclusive environment for library customers and staff through training activities, public services, programs, and recruitment.
- Remains poised, diplomatic, and professional at all times even when under pressure or in demanding situations.
- Excellent communication skills are required, including written, verbal, and oral presentation, to be applied in interpersonal and customer service situations in order to convey information and establish rapport with library customers, staff, colleagues, municipal and county government officials, and community organization partners. The incumbent will be required to speak in public and must be comfortable in the role of spokesperson for the Library when called on to do so.
- Approves the payment of monthly bills when delegated to do so for the operation of the Library System.
- May lead the day-to-day management of the Library System if the Library Director, the Assistant Director for Public Services, and the Assistant Director for Operations Services are absent.
- Serves as an advisor to the Library Director and is responsible for assignments and special projects as delegated by the Library Director.
- Serves as the Management Team liaison to various Ocean County Library committees, project teams, and task forces.
Toms River Headquarters Branch Manager
- Manages the largest library location in the Ocean County Library System, directly and indirectly supervising 51.8 FTE employees who deliver public library services to the branch’s customers and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of a facility with a total of 123.9 FTE. The incumbent supervises and shares an administrative clerk who provides secretarial and assistant support.
- Serves as the Ocean County Library’s liaison with municipal government officials and community organization leaders, serves on the board of the Downtown Toms River Business Improvement District and is responsible for coordinating outreach to diverse communities.
- Determines and coordinates public services and special events for children, teens, young adults and adults and manages public spaces including Mancini Hall, a 250 seat auditorium, the Library Café, three meeting rooms, two study rooms, two art galleries, indoor and outdoor art collections, a 25-seat computer lab, and The Bishop Memorial Library, a separate building used as a training center and meeting room.
- Follows and implements Library Commission policy and communicates Ocean County Library initiatives to Toms River Headquarters staff and library customers.
- Actively participates on the eight member public services team. Under the leadership of the Assistant Director for Public Services, this team coordinates system wide Information Services, Children’s Services, Teen Services, Volunteer and Homebound Services, and Branch Services.
- Plans and manages the Toms River Branch budget and expenditures. In concert with public services coordinators, seeks and submits grants as appropriate.
- Supervises personnel management of four direct reports and approximately 76 full-time and part-time employees at the Toms River Headquarters Branch..
- Makes sure communication with Toms River Headquarters Branch staff and Toms River Headquarters administrative and operations personnel is timely and effective.
- Serves as Library liaison with the Toms River Friends of the Library and attends monthly meetings.
- Represents Ocean County Library at local, state, and national meetings, organizations, and conferences.
- Prepares various reports and documentation including status reports and administrative reports related to branch operations.
- Attends and/ or conducts meetings, including Management Team (bi-weekly); Pre-Commission (monthly); Library Commission (monthly); Assistant Director for Public Services (weekly); and Library Director (bi-monthly) department meetings, daily informational meetings, and bi-weekly Department Head meetings.
- Recommends the hiring, discharge, training, promotion, and other personnel actions for Library employees. A working knowledge of New Jersey Civil Service Commission regulations will be essential in order to fulfill this responsibility.
- May be responsible for day to day management of public services throughout the Library System in the absence of the Assistant Director for Public Services.
Education. A Master's degree in Library or Information Science in a library program accredited by the American Library Association or from a New Jersey College Master’s Program in Library Science that has been deemed acceptable by Thomas Edison State College.
Experience. Four years of professional librarian experience in providing general library services, one year of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
License. A valid New Jersey license as a Professional Librarian.
- New Jersey Driver’s License required in order to drive Ocean County motor vehicles to other locations within the Ocean County Library Systems and to meetings with various community organizations and professional associations throughout the county and state.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act candidates who do not reside in New Jersey have one year after the date of employment to relocate their residence to New Jersey. Failure to do so will subject the employee to removal.
You must submit:
- Ocean County Library Employment Application
- Cover letter that explains in one-page, typed and single-spaced, why your work experience makes you the best-qualified candidate for this position.
Send application packages to:
Ocean County Library (Attn: J. Doderer, OHR)
101 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753-7625
or e-mail materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other requirements and considerations
- Include the announcement number on all correspondence.
- Applications submitted for consideration will be reviewed for qualifications and eligibility determination every two weeks. Ineligible or unqualified candidates will be notified upon determination.
- The application materials provided by eligible candidates will be referred to the head of the interview panel, who will determine who will be interviewed based on the quality of the application materials and the education and experience of the candidate.
- All candidates who are screened to be interviewed will also be required to give a ten to fifteen minute presentation on how they would connect people and build community throughout Ocean County through innovation in public services.
- The successful candidate will be provisionally appointed to the Chief Librarian title. He or she will be required to complete the New Jersey Civil Service Commission examination process and be within reach on the resulting certificate of eligibles in order to receive permanent appointment in the title. Failure to successfully complete the process may result in removal from the position.
- Subject to the current employer’s permission, permanent New Jersey Civil Service employees may be eligible to participate in the Intergovernmental Transfer Program if selected for this position.
For additional information about this announcement, the New Jersey Civil Service Commission’s competitive examination process, or the New Jersey Intergovernmental Transfer Program, please contact Ms. Doderer at (732) 349-6200, extension 5935, or at the e-mail address cited above.
The Ocean County Library is an ADA and EOE compliant employer.