Title: Librarian 1 [Teen Services]
Location: Multiple Locations (Jackson, Lakewood and Toms River branches)
Schedule: Full Time - 35 hour work week including nights and alternating weekend hours
Job Posting Number: P-300-14-01
Salary: $44,000 per annum
- A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited library school; or from a New Jersey library school accredited by the New Jersey State Board of Education. If you will earn your degree within 6 months from the closing date, you will be considered eligible.
- A New Jersey Professional Librarian certificate (or ability to obtain one within 1 year of employment)
- For appointment at Librarian 2 level, one year of professional librarian experience is required
Customer Service Philosophy: Ocean County Library connects people and builds community. The library is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment for all customers.
General Description: Librarian 1 is an entry-level position, which moves into the classification of Librarian 2 upon the successful completion of one year’s employment. The Librarian serves as part of the branch team in providing service to all customers, but may specialize in youth services, teen services, or information services. Under the direction of the Branch Manager, the Librarian plans, organizes, and evaluates programs in accordance with the Ocean County Library Mission, Goals, Standards, Diversity Plan, and Strategic Plan. This includes community outreach, participating in System-wide committees and initiatives, and attending staff or departmental meetings.
The Librarian provides Reference and Readers’ Advisory services, speaks to groups and community organizations, and champions the Diversity Initiative for inclusive service to the public. The Librarian maintains a popular, inviting collection, deselects worn, out of date, or unused items, and communicates with System Selectors to meet local collection needs. In addition, the Librarian/Senior Librarian may provide database or other technology-related instruction to staff and public, singly or in groups.
Teen Services: The Librarian for teen services understands adolescent development, has a good rapport with teens, is familiar with classic and contemporary teen literature, and provides programs from upper elementary school through high school. The Librarian provides outreach to students and teachers, gives book talks, and is able to generate excitement about reading and library services to customers, which may include at risk youth and youth in detention centers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of theories, principles, and techniques of librarianship
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing clearly, concisely, and informatively
- Ability to prepare informative statistical and narrative reports
- Ability to work harmoniously with peers, subordinates, and customers
- Ability to understand and follow Ocean County Library policies, procedures, and collective bargaining agreements
- Ability to meet or exceed Ocean County Library’s Reference Competencies 1, 2, and 3
- Knowledge of current trends in librarianship and ability to keep current with available electronic resources
- Mastery of the core competencies for librarians of the New Jersey Library Association
Your application materials must be hand-delivered or postmarked by close of business (5 PM) on the closing date. Applications received after the closing date MAY NOT be considered. Electronic and facsimile applications will be accepted provided they are submitted within the aforementioned time frame.
Submit all application materials (indicating job announcement #) to:
The Ocean County Library
Office of Human Resources Attn: Cheryl Somers
101 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753-7625
Facsimiles should be sent to (732) 473-1356 (Attn: Cheryl Somers)
For additional information regarding this announcement, please contact Jennifer Doderer at (732) 349-6200 extension 5935, or email (questions and applications) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fillable PDF applications may be printed from our website: www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
Applications are also available at all of our 21 branches.