Public Information Officer
Title: Public Information Officer
Location: Toms River Administration
Schedule: 35-hour workweek
Reports to: Chief Librarian, Administration
Job Announcement Number: P-340-13-42
Reporting to the Chief of Administration, the Public Information Officer is responsible for the coordination of communication strategies for 19 branches and 2 reading centers. The Public Information Officer oversees and manages the daily operations and staff of the library’s Public Relations, Special Events, and Printing and Graphics. A primary focus of this position is to market and promote library services and resources to key stakeholders through new and traditional media. This individual will work in partnership with the Management Team to fulfill the Library’s Strategic Plan, by providing direction, oversight, and management and leading innovation efforts for the Library’s marketing of Library programs and services, online services, and web presence.
Customer Service Philosophy: Ocean County Library connects people and builds community. The library is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment for all customers.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Develop, produce, distribute and promote marketing techniques and materials that contribute to staff and public awareness of Library services and Strategic Plan Priorities and enhance public opinion of the Library.
- Monitor and evaluate marketing materials and modify as required to achieve marketing objectives.
- Oversee and/or directly write copy for marketing articles and other marketing materials reflecting key messages, features and benefits. Promotional materials may include press releases, publications, radio and television programs, and photographs.
- Assess the value and effectiveness of written material in achieving the Library’s information and program objectives.
- May arrange and direct press conferences, radio or television interviews with Library personnel.
- Establishes and maintains liaison and cooperative working relations with media representatives and with interested public, private and volunteer groups to ensure understanding of the Library’s programs and to create and maintain a favorable public image.
- Direct and oversee staff engaged in online and print graphic design and development, and staff engaged in online and print promotion of the Library.
- Promote and advocate for the Library to reach new users and promote core services. Actively engage in and support the development of strategies to reach distinctive audiences, and the evaluation of services that respond to the changing needs of patrons.
- Provide visionary leadership to leverage the Library’s use of social media, including recommendation and implementation of effective strategies.
- Direct, oversee and supervise Library staff engaged in web content related initiatives, projects and activities.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to integrate print media, the Ocean County Library website, current social media outlets, and other avenues into a comprehensive 21st century marketing plan for the Library.
- Ability to effectively write and edit brochures, bulletins, and other publications relating to Library activities.
- Knowledge of libraries or other non-profit environments preferred.
Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree.
Applicants who do not meet the above educational requirements may substitute additional experience as indicated below on a year-for-year basis with thirty (30) semester credit hours being equal to one (1) year of experience.
Three (3) years of experience in work involving the dissemination of information in the field of news media, public relations, publicity, and/or advertising.
You must submit:
- OCL Employment Application
- Cover letter
- All selected applicants will be required to bring in at least three writing samples pertaining to Public Relations work, such as sample press releases, promotional materials, or ad copy. A brief in-person writing sample may also be required.
- Your application materials must be hand-delivered or postmarked by close of business (5 PM) on the closing date. Applications received after the closing date MAY NOT be considered. Electronic and facsimile applications will be accepted provided they are submitted within the aforementioned time frame.
Submit all application materials (indicating job announcement #) to:
The Ocean County Library
Office of Human Resources Attn: Cheryl Somers
101 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753-7625
Facsimiles should be sent to (732) 341-3044 (Attn: Cheryl Somers)
For additional information regarding this announcement, please contact Jennifer Doderer at (732) 349-6200 extension 5935, or email (questions and applications) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fillable PDF applications may be printed from our website: www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
Applications are also available at all of our 21 branches.
Print out Application