Data Processing Programmer/ Webmaster
Full time – 40 hours per week
Location: Toms River headquarters branch
Minimum Salary: $40,570 Per annum
Announcement number: P-330-14-04
Closing date: 01/27/14
The Ocean County Library is looking for a Data Processing Programmer to maintain and develop its public website and intranet. The library is in the process of building an entirely new web presence, so the ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about creating websites and applications from the ground up. Potential near-future projects include: moving our intranet from static HTML to a Content Management System (CMS) DotNetNuke; designing a new interface for our public website, which must integrate with various library systems and tools, in collaboration with our Web Services team. Great emphasis will be placed on usability and standards compliance.
Under direction, does the design and preparation of the less complex computer programs for electronic data processing equipment utilizing required and current software, operating systems, and multiprogramming technology; does other related duties.
- Perform web page maintenance with Dreamweaver, adhering to the website’s overall look and feel [This position currently includes content maintenance, but those duties may be separated in the future.]
- Be lead developer on database-driven web applications (currently developed on ASP/ASP.NET/Microsoft SQL platform)
- Tests and documents modifications and writes operator instructions.
- Checks program module coding to determine program deficiencies and corrects coding as necessary.
- Maintains production application programs/program modules as necessary.
- Makes approved changes by amending the program flow chart, developing detailed processing logic, and coding changes.
- Writes routine new programs using prescribed specifications.
- Create and edit images with Fireworks or Photoshop
- Create web-ready PDFs with Acrobat
- Assist with blog, wiki and podcast development
- Assist in customization of vendor products
- Participate in the work of the Web Services team, including frequent meetings, project management, brainstorming sessions
- Communicate changes to staff and offer training in new web products, as necessary
- Keep up with the latest tools and techniques and standards in the web development field and apply them to our web products as appropriate.
Technical Requirements (experience with or ability to learn the following is highly desired):
- ASP/ASP.NET/PHP, MySQL/Microsoft SQL, Ruby on Rails, Perl
- Web server administration: IIS and Apache
- XML, XSLT, Web Services standards
- Knowledge of data processing functions, organizational structure, and the relationship of stages in automating a work process.
- Knowledge of programming standards and pertinent computer equipment characteristics, and skill in use of programming techniques to maintain and modify and assigned group of programs within the total number of utility routines, execution routines, input-output control programs, and so forth required to support the telecommunications systems.
- Knowledge of data communications access methods.
- Knowledge of basic computer hardware.
- Knowledge of modularized approach to programming.
- Knowledge of various database access methods such as index sequential, direct, and sequential.
- Flash, ActionScript
- Usability and user-centered design practices
- ADA compliance practices
Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s degree in Computer Science or Computer/Information Technology or a general Bachelor’s degree.
Two (2) years of experience in the design and preparation of programs for electronic data processing equipment utilizing current operating systems and multiprogramming technologies in a Web environment.
Your application materials must be hand-delivered or postmarked by close of business (5 PM) on the closing date. Applications received after the closing date MAY NOT be considered. Electronic and facsimile applications will be accepted provided they are submitted within the aforementioned time frame.
Submit all application materials (indicating job announcement #) to:
The Ocean County Library
Office of Human Resources Attn: Jennifer Doderer
101 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753-7625
Facsimiles should be sent to (732)473-1356 (Attn: Jennifer Doderer)
For additional information regarding this announcement, please contact Jennifer Doderer at (732) 349-6200 extension 5935, or email (questions and applications) to jdoderer@theoceancountylibrary.
Fillable PDF applications may be printed from our website: www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
Applications are also available at all of our 21 branches.