Digital Archive of the Tuckerton Beacon 1917 – 1987
(The Beacon, The Lacey Beacon & The Tuckerton Beacon are fundamentally the same paper. This collection was digitized from available microfilm in the Ocean County Library collection with the goal of digitizing all available publication dates.)

Accessible Only At The
Ocean County Library

Accessible At
Click SEARCH to find a specific article or file Tuckerton Beacon (1917-1922)
Click on the newspaper titles to browse by date  
The Beacon (1960 – 1985)  
Lacey Beacon (1982 -1987)  
Tuckerton Beacon (1917-1961, 1978, 1985-1987)  

Browse some notable front pages
August 2, 1917 : First available issue with the names of Ocean County World War I draftees
November 30, 1922: Airship being built at Lakehurst
February 19, 1925:  Rum Runners captured
October 5, 1939: The 50th Anniversary issue of the Beacon
 January 1, 1942: World War II, Civil Defense
 March 3, 1942: World War II, State Coast “Dim Out” for Defense & Ship Torpedoed off Coast
April 30, 1942:  World War II, Blackout Practice & Registering for Ration Books
October 1, 1950: Equine Encephalitis Epidemic in Ocean County
March 8, 1962: The Great Storm of ’62

This digital archive would not have been possible without the partnership between the Great John Mathis Foundation/Bass River Historical Society, the Asbury Park Press – Gannett Co. and the Ocean County Library.  Funding was provided with an initial grant from the Great John Mathis Foundation with additional funds from Ocean County Library. Permission to digitize material still under copyright for access within the library was kindly granted by the Asbury Park Press – Gannet Co.  Additional thanks to the Technology, Collections, Information Services and Administration departments of Ocean County Library who worked together to complete this first project in digitizing Ocean County newspapers.

Due to copyright restrictions, digital access to the Tuckerton Beacon issues from 1923 to 1987 are only available at all the Ocean County Library Locations.  Only the issues from 1917 to 1922 are available for remote use through our website. If you have any questions about this archive, please email us.

For optimum performance use the latest version of Internet Explorer and Adobe Reader.
In Adobe Reader change the properties for "web view" by going to edit/tools and checking the fast web view box.

Digitalization was done by Innovative Document Imaging.


Copyright © 1996-2012 Disclaimer. All rights reserved.
Ocean County Library, 101 Washington Street, Toms River, NJ 08753 | Tel. 732-349-6200