August 03, 2018
TOMS RIVER – Take a “Journey through the Pines” and learn about its ecology and folklore from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday Aug. 18 at the Toms River Branch of the Ocean County Library, 101 Washington St.
This free event will include activities including art/photography exhibits, children’s programs, and workshops.
The schedule for the day includes:
- “Pinelands Photography of Albert D. Horner” in the McConnell Gallery.
- “Traditional Pinelands Craft: Make Your Own Basket” at 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. in the Home Town Dairy Room. Make a traditional hanging garlic basket with Steven R. Carty of the Pinelands Folk Music Center. This activity is sponsored by the Friends of the Ocean County Library – Toms River.
- “Local History Film: The Pine Barrens: Up Close and Natural” at 12 p.m., 12:30 p.m., 1 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2 p.m., 2:30 p.m., and 3 p.m. in the Green Room.
- “Author Visit with Albert D. Horner” at 1 p.m. in Mancini Hall. Join this author and photographer for a discussion of his book “Pinelands: New Jersey’s Suburban Wilderness” followed by a book signing.
- Children’s programs include “Pinelands Storytime” at 2 p.m. in the Children’s area and a “Pinelands Children’s Drop-In Craft” at 2:30 p.m. in the Discovery Room.
- “The Last Whippoorwill Bluegrass Band” will perform at 3 p.m. in Mancini Hall. Enjoy classic and traditional bluegrass music with this Pinelands band.
Registration is required for each activity. To register, call 732-349-6200 or visit theoceancountylibrary.org/events.