Become a TEEN Volunteer!
Whether working to fulfill a school commitment, to build a job resume, or to serve the community, Ocean County Library offers opportunities for teens ages 12 to 18. Plus it's a fun way to earn community service hours!
Click here, print it out and bring it to your local Ocean County Library branch. Ages 12 – 17 must have application signed by parent or guardian.
Why be a TEEN volunteer at the Ocean County Library?
- Looks fabulous on college applications
- Helps you learn skills to add to a job resume
- Great way to meet new friends
- Serve and get to know your community better
- Learn about the library, how the library works and the library profession
- Heads up on the latest books!
- Be truly appreciated for the work you do!
What TEEN volunteer opportunities are available at OCL?
All programs require an application and possible orientation. Please check your local library branch for details.
- Teen Advisory Board
- Help plan and implement library programs for all ages, and provide input on teen services at OCL. TAB members earn community service hours through participation in meetings and assisting in library events and programs. Please contact your local branch for a meeting. New members are always welcome!
- Adopt a Shelf
- Teens help to keep the books in proper order on the shelves. This important task allows customers and staff to locate library materials quickly and efficiently. This requires a brief orientation.
- Teen Book Reviewer
- Earn up to 15 community service hours by reading and reviewing the latest YA books. Reviews will be displayed in the library and posted on the Teen Zone webpage. Click here for more information.
For More Information
Please contact Jeannie Collacott (Teen Services Supervisor) at the Ocean County Library by telephone at (732) 349-6200, extension 5201, or by e-mail. You can also talk to your local branch teen librarians!
Summer Volunteering Opportunities
Get your community services hours serving your local branch while having fun at the Library!
- S.A.I.L. (Service and Achievement in the Library) → S.A.I.L. is a summer volunteer program open to teens that are entering 8th grade. Work closely with teen and children services and learn all that your library has to offer. Applications come out 1st week of May.
- Reading Buddies → Teens "buddy up" with younger readers to encourage a love of reading and support early reading skills. Reading Buddies is a volunteer program open to teens that are entering 8th grade. Applications come out 1st week of May.