Become a TEEN Volunteer!
Whether working to fulfill a school commitment, to build a job resume, or to serve the community, Ocean County Library offers opportunities for teens ages 12 to 18. It’s a fun way to earn community service hours!
Why be a TEEN volunteer at the Ocean County Library?
- Looks fabulous on college applications
- Helps you learn skills to add to a job resume
- Great way to meet new friends
- Serve and get to know your community better
- Learn about the library, how the library works and the library profession
- Heads up on the latest books!
- Be truly appreciated for the work you do!
How to Apply
This opportunity is for teens ages 12 – 18 only. Application must be signed by a teen and parent or guardian via one of two application methods (see below). When received, the teen librarian will respond to your application. Please be aware that it might take up to a week for a response. In addition, when letters are needed to verify community service, please give your teen librarian one-week notice. For more details on Teen Volunteer opportunities, please see the information below.
As of September 2023, there are now two ways to apply to be a Teen Volunteer:
- Apply using the OCL Teen Application. This is an application on our website. Select all of the volunteer opportunities you are interested in on the application and fill out the form. Once you have submitted your application, a librarian will log that information and create an account for you via Galaxy Digital. They will send you your login information, as well as information about specific volunteer opportunities, and how to begin volunteering.
- Apply using Galaxy Digital Application. This is a simple application directly on Galaxy. Fill out the form and send a Parent or Guardian Permission waiver to their email. Once they sign it electronically, your local librarian will be notified. They will have to qualify your account before you can begin applying for volunteer opportunities. The benefit to this exciting self-service option is already having your login information and checking out the interface ahead of time. For more details or help with completing this process, click here.
What TEEN volunteer opportunities are available at OCL?
All programs require an application and possible orientation. Please check your local library branch for details. A teen volunteer shift is usually 1 to 2 hours, sometimes more if need and availability align.
School Year Volunteering Opportunities - September through May
- Teen Advisory Board
- Adopt a Shelf
- Teens help to keep the books in proper order on the shelves. This important task allows customers and staff to locate library materials quickly and efficiently. This requires a brief orientation.
- Teen Book Reviewer
- Virtual Volunteering
- Contact your local branch to see if they offer any virtual volunteer opportunities.
Summer Volunteering Opportunities - June Through August
- S.A.I.L. (Service and Achievement in the Library)
- S.A.I.L. is a summer volunteer program open to teens that are entering 8th grade. Work closely with teen and children services and learn all that your library has to offer. Applications come out 1st week of May.