We are delighted that you are interested in volunteering at your Ocean County Library! Volunteer opportunities exist for both adults and teens. If you are a 12 years or older and want to learn more about volunteering at Ocean County Library please click here to visit our Teen Volunteering information page.
Volunteers are the heart of the library—adult volunteers give countless hours to further our library’s mission…connecting people, building community, and transforming lives. During a typical year, library adult volunteers provide more than 21,000 hours of service.
Library staff works with you to determine which volunteering opportunities are right for you and your schedule. We appreciate the service you provide.
Want to know more about adult volunteering opportunities at your library?
Our adult volunteers perform a variety of tasks that are very important to operation of Ocean County Library. Some adult volunteering opportunities do require a background check (paid by the library).Volunteer opportunities vary by branch but some of the things volunteers do are:
Ready to volunteer?
If you are interested in volunteering at one of our branches, please download and complete this Adult Volunteer Application, fill it out and bring it into your branch of choice. You can also visit your local branch to fill out an Adult Volunteer Application in person. Once your application is accepted, a staff member will go over the volunteering opportunities available at your branch and offer training to help you get started.
You can also complete an online Adult Volunteer Application, found here.
Please follow these instructions when completing the online Adult Volunteer Application:
- Galaxy’s website, please click on SIGN UP in the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- You will see “I am a”. Please select the correct track from the drop-down menu. You will see each branch has a teen track and an adult track. Please select the correct track for the branch you wish to volunteer at.
- Do not sign up with your FaceBook account. Please sign up with your personal email address.
- After signing up, a pop-up will appear. You can click on Respond To A Need; the website will show you all of the volunteer needs at all of the participating library branches. An easier way to view what volunteer needs are needed at your library branch, is to click on BRANCHES on the left-hand side of the screen.
- After clicking on BRANCHES, scroll through the listed branches and click on the branch you would like to volunteer at. You will see all of the available volunteer opportunities listed at your selected branch. Click on See more needs to view all of the needs/volunteer opportunities that specific branch has available.
- When you see a volunteer opportunity that you would like to apply for, click on VIEW DETAILS. You will now be able to view a description of the volunteer opportunity.
- If you are interested in the volunteer opportunity that you selected, click on RESPOND.
- After you click RESPOND, a new window opens that says Need Response (this shows your name and branch and need you chose). It asks you to add any additional notes. Then, click on Submit Need Response towards the bottom left of the screen. This will generate an email to branch staff and a staff member will reach out to you, via email or phone, within two business days. Please note, if you do not respond to a volunteer opportunity (need), an email to branch staff will not be generated and they will not know to contact you.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email Ocean County Library Volunteer Services at HVS@theoceancountylibrary.org.
Thanks for your interest in volunteering at your library!
The Ocean County Library does not discriminate in accepting volunteers based on race, nationality, alien status, gender, age, ability, or religion. Applicants will be selected based on their qualifications in relation to the Library’s operational needs and on their ability to commit to a consistent schedule of volunteer hours.