The Township of Plumsted was incorporated in 1845 and covers New Egypt and Cream Ridge. By 1908, New Egypt had become a summer resort. People came from Philadelphia and New York to spend their summer by Oakford Lake in New Egypt. During the winter the lake became a source of ice for the town. Cranberry bogs provided berries for Mrs. King’s “Bog Sweet” canning factory, which eventually grew, moved back to Bordentown and became known as Ocean Spray. In 1868 the railroad came to New Egypt. Passengers as well as freight kept the railroad busy. However in 1959, as trucks became a more popular mode of transportation, the railroad in New Egypt ceased to exist. The historic district in town consists of 114 structures. Most of the structures are found in the downtown area of New Egypt and along Evergreen road. They are representative of several architectural styles found in the late 18th and 19th centuries. They trace the development of New Egypt from the original mill town to its emergence as a popular market place. All of this adds to the charm and character found today in the village of New Egypt.